The secrets brewing in Philip Marie's basement

Philip Marie
569 Hudson Street
New York NY 10014
 
I would like to introduce you to one of the more interesting basements I certainly have come across. At Philip Marie, during a brunch visit, I learned there was a wine cave downstairs (also a private dining area) that once lead even further underground to a speakeasy from the 1930's! I immediately wanted to know more.

So my research began... 
I found out the wine cave and room next door was once a holding area for all the alcohol that supplied the surrounding speakeasies via the underground subterranean tunnels. The Gin, for example, would be brought in through the West 11st underground entrance then shipped out through the tunnels to all the bars - as far as 1/2 mile underground! 

Upon the chance to have a look inside, it was incredible to stand in this area that was also once connected to a speakeasy in the "sub-basement" via the trap door and stairs. View my YouTube video to see with your own eyes!

Even more fascinating is what I recently found out. Also discovered by the owner was a room with a door, windows and even a kitchen - UNDERGROUND. As confusing as that is, he found out this was once a farmhouse that was ABOVE ground dating back to the 1700's!

An inside tour


Info and images via nyposttripadvisor jalopnikgothamist








 

CONTACT

If you’re interested in collaborating or have any questions, you’re more than welcome to send me an e-mail at: IconsWanted@gmail.com. Thanks!