Harry Devert - An anomaly of a person

Harry Devert. He was a man who I was lucky enough to cross paths with for the first time in 2008 on an unexpected trip where I would unexpectedly meet a wonderful and inspiring person.

a·nom·a·ly

  1. 1.
    something that deviates from what is standard, normal, or expected

I use this word to describe Harry because that is exactly what he is - an anomaly. As I write this, I find it interesting that we had only a few encounters as friends - however his energy, kindness and warmth as a person are unforgettable. 

I visited Miami with a friend years ago, we needed a place to stay last minute and (through a mutual friend) we met Harry the night before we were stranded. He willingly and happily took us in the following night and showed us an amazing weekend. He asked for nothing in return and was still was so kind and full of life. He took me to his 'office' which was at The Ritz Hotel on the beach in a cabana overlooking the ocean. He had his computer and while he worked I stared into the gorgeous blue sea. He was funny and so happy.

When you meet someone only a few times and they appear happy - you never know if that is truly who they are or maybe you caught them on a good day. When I heard the shocking news of his disappearance in January, I began to read all of the loving words coming his way on his Facebook page. Words asking to bring him back, showing love and hope. However what stuck me most, as I was reading all the stories of others experiences with him - I found it was so similar to my story. I began to realize - I didn't catch him on a good day, it wasn't a one-off but this person, this man was actually indeed full of life, energy and kind-non expecting-love for others. Harry and the stories that were pouring in every few minutes - opened my eyes to how life should be lived. Life should not be taken granted for, people should be respected and shown the unexpected with warmth. Ann - Harry's mother - whom I never had the pleasure of meeting, but it is transparent that she held a major hand in the person Harry became. Watching her drive in finding him, never giving up - as any mother would - but the spirit she continued on to have for her son's life... it is clear as day where his unconditional love for all came from.




Life is short. We need to be kind to all, show the unexpected - for if you don't then who will? Live every day with high energy or in the least, with gratitude and selflessness. I am thankful that an unexpected event lead me to meet Harry. I am still speechless and in disbelief of the way his life came to an end.

Harry - I am forever grateful for the light you brought into this world, the adventure you lived and showed others, as well as the kindness you showed me that I will carry on with you in mind. To a special person. Thank you.



 

CONTACT

If you’re interested in collaborating or have any questions, you’re more than welcome to send me an e-mail at: IconsWanted@gmail.com. Thanks!